HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:30:05 -0500
From:
"Daniel H. Weiskotten" <[log in to unmask]>
John:

I think that barge spikes were larger than boat spikes, but I also think
that barge spikes are the long rods that are driven down through the
planks, from plank to plank, to hold them and give them much added
strength.  Holes were drilled about 6 inches apart in each plank before
installation and the planks slid down them to their position and then
spiked in place to the ribs with the shorter boat spikes.

On the abandoned sections of the Erie Canal across New York State you can
still see the hulls of 100 foot Lakers and other stout barges that were
sunk when it the old line was closed in 1917 or so.  In some places the
water was kept in the canal prism after the abandonment and the wooden
hulls rotted away above the water line leaving hundreds of 5 or 6 foot long
rods sticking up above the waterline, and marking the outline of the
boat.  Most of these were cut down below water many years ago for safety
purposes (and perhaps to salvage the iron).  At Chittenango Landing Canal
Boat Museum on the Erie at Chittenango, NY, they excavated an abandoned
hull and you could see the cut off rods.  I just can't imagine the
incredible skill and labor that went into setting those rods.

http://www.chittenangolandingcanalboatmuseum.com/more%20pics%20_of%20site.htm

You might want to contact the fine folks at CLCBM about the difference.

(Tell them Dan sent you!)

         Dan W.