From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:52:48 +1200
I chanced to hear on the radio an extract from the first movement of
Walton's Symphony No. 1 in the only recording Karajan ever made of it.
(I had previously been blissfully unaware that he had even made just
that one recording).  From the extract I heard, it seems quite likely
that Karajan equates Walton with Bruckner & the result seems very
interesting at least.  It probably works better to make say Webern
sound like Mahler (as both Karajan & Boulez manage to do) since those
two composers are at least cognate.

Geoffrey Gaskell