From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:23:16 -0500
David Stewart wrote:

>But I need more, so recommendations would be much apreciated.  I have:

I don't know which you have of these, but if you don't have them try:

>Symphonies 1,2,(3)

Barbirolli (2, esp), Boult, Loughran, Downes (2), Slatkin (1) can't stand
his second, but others love it--very slow: Barbirolli does this sort of
thing better, Solti (2, not 1).

>Enigma

Try Barbirolli/EMI (some like Barbirolli with the Halle: I don't);
Boult/LSO; Previn/Philips, Andrew Davis/Teldec

>>   Cello Concerto

DuPre/Barbirolli, Tortellier/Boult, NAvarra/Barbirolli

>>I have heard of a piece called the kingdom - is this a good one?--Boult
>> is safe, but there are others. I'd guess Hickox is good, too.

Yes.  This came up earlier in the list.  But I would try the Dream of
Gerontius first.  Go with Boult (unless you don't like Nicolai Gedda) or
Richard Hickox for a big scale, straightforward performance.  (Hickox has
a great Gerontius.) Or Barbirolli for a more intimate, soulful reading
which I don't think is quite as impressive in the big moments and may
not be quite as well played.  But this is nearing apostasy.  I love the
Barbirolli recording, but many think it the best, and it does have Janet
Baker.

After Gerontius and The Kingdom, try the Apostles.

Violin Concerto.  Hard to get inside this work, but it rewards repeated
listening and concentration.  Try to hear the old Elgar/Menuhin, very
superior to Menuhin's remake.  In stereo, I also like the first Zuckerman
recording, with Barenboim, but not his second.  Kang on Naxos is a bravura
performance on Naxos: not my favorite but a good one, and the price is
right.  I absolutely adore Haendel/Boult, reissued on Testament.  It's slow
and introspective.  Some might find it mannered: I don't.  Not a first
choice for many (for me it is), but try it if you come to like the piece.
Avoid Perlman unless you're a real fan.  He turns Elgar into Tchaikovsky.
Chung/Solti is nicely animated.

Falstaff.  Not typically Elgarian, but unmistakably Elgar.  It's more
lean and programmatic than his usual work, but it's still expressive and
exciting.  Again, a work that takes time to get into, but rewards the
effort.  Andrew Davis has a terrific all-round performance; Solti is very
exciting; Barbirolli is lyrical and insightful; Boult is more majestic and
exciting; Handley, I haven't heard in a while, but I recall it as leaner
and more classical.

Don't forget the overtures.  In the South, Cockaigne, and Froissart,
especially the first two.  I would think you have these coupled to
something else.  Try to hear the Silvestri "South," but there are some
other fine ones.

Sea Pictures. Try Baker/Barbirolli

Piano Quintet/String Quartet.  The Naxos is actually quite good.  Watch out
for Medici: it's kind of harsh sounding.  There are several others (Coull
is one that comes to mind, but you need two CDs.)

That's a start.

I'm jealous. You get to hear some of this stuff for the first time.

Roger Hecht