From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:11:06 -0700
Don Satz writes:

>Ray may well be correct in his assumptions.  However, I don't think that
>Gelb has any interest in possessing this knowledge, because it is not
>germane to his plans which are to create a new classical audience which
>is much bigger than the current one.

Perhaps I missed any earlier reference to this, or maybe it's strictly
a local thing.  Our NPR stations "Morning Edition" is sponsored in part
by Sony's new "Music for the Millenium" series.  (I'm already more tired
of the Millenium than I was of the Bicentennial, but that's another
whine....).  [It's particularly aggravating as everyone seems to be
hell-bent on celebrating it a year early.  -Dave]

WHAT is this "Music for the Millenium"? I haven't seen any discs labelled
as such - are they in the "soundtrack" section, or "world music" (another
horrible term....) section, or maybe they just haven't made their way to
the junior-varsity cities? And what defines them as "Music for the
Millenium"? For that matter, what is a "new" classical audience? Is it an
audience that will listen to more than only the usual warhorses and fatso
tenors? Great - sign me up.  But if it's an audience that thinks "Titanic"
soundtracks constitute "classical" music, well.....I guess I'll know when
I see one of these "Music for the Millenium" CDs.  I don't hold very high
hopes, though.

Mark