From:
David Cozy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:20:39 +0900
John G. Deacon writes that Richter's recording of the Wanderer Fantasy

>was made in the Salle Wagram (Paris) in June 1963 . . . [and that]
>at some time after 3 a.m., so the story went, Richter began to
>play - the recorders were rolling and either this piece - or the equally
>wonderful performance of the Sonata in A (D.664) - or both - were recorded
>right through without a break . . .

Curious.

My copy of Richter's renditions of the Wanderer Fantasy and the Sonata
in A (D.664) is a Japanese pressing on EMI Japan (remastered by Yoshio
Okazaki, TOCE-3144).  It's in the EMI "Grandmaster Series." In the booklet
accompanying the CD it says "Recorded 11-13 February & 11 & 12 April 1963,
Salle Wagram, Paris." The liner notes are in Japanese, a language in which
I'm more or less illiterate, but they appear to give no additional
information about the performances.

Am I listening to different recordings than Mr. Deacon?

What's the story here?

Yours,

David Cozy
mailto:[log in to unmask]