Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 00:55:04 +0200
Geoffrey Gaskell writes:

>...  From the extract I heard, it seems quite likely that Karajan
>equates Walton with Bruckner & the result seems very interesting at
>least.  It probably works better to make say Webern sound like Mahler
>(as both Karajan & Boulez manage to do) since those two composers are
>at least cognate.

I hav'ent listened to Karajan's Walton first for some time but I have
an of radio concert on tape which he did with the RAI orchestra in Rome
in abouts 1962.  also in the program was Hilding Rosenberg's Concerto
no. 1 and Bartoks third piano concerto with Geza Anda as a soloist.
I'll listen again tomorrow to see if I get any Brucknerian wibes from
the Walton..

/ptr
DSCH 100: at the horizon in 2006