From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:29:56 -0400
While most of the postings so far have dealt with full sets, I'm also
curious as to what folks think regarding the original vs.  revised (by
Schumann) editions of the Fourth Symphony.  I believe most of the available
recordings are of the revised version, but one set I have that appears
not to have come up in the discussion before (Roy Goodman conducting the
Hanover Band, using period instruments) features the original version.

I tend to go back and forth on which version I prefer--the original
sometimes comes across as lighter in texture, but that may be a function
of the Hanover Band's approach.  Anybody have more insights into the two
versions, and their own attitudes?

Bill H.