From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:52:25 -0000
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Jacques HETU (1938-): A new release, finally ...as the Subject line
>requires.  This CD re-confirms him as my favourite Canadian composer:
>non-12-tone, melodic, often lyrical and largely traditional, to my ear.
>Neither as uncomplicated as Malcolm Forsyth's music can often be, nor
>as abstract as R Murray Shafer's usually is, this music still offers
>enough challenges within its conventional shapes; for me, Hetu always
>rewards close attention.  This recording, CBC SMCD 5228, is also a fair
>introduction to his music: featuring fine concerti for piano (#2), flute,
>clarinet and bassoon -- all very idiomatic, to my ear, for each solo
>instrument.

I agree with the description of the concertos, but Hetu does occasionally
use 12-tone techniques, albeit not slavishly.  He wrote a trio that is
largely 12-tone, though I wouldn't have guessed it if he hadn't told me
so.  Then there was an oboe sonata that sounded like it might be 12-tone.
He is my favourite Canadian composer too.  He has also written other
concertos, including one for guitar and strings, played here (in Ottawa)
recently.

Richard, who invites you to visit his classical music site at
http://opuspocus.ca