From:
Amy Chastek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:34:27 -0600
I can understand RH's complaint about a nyc critic whinning about the
merits of Elgar's 1st.  I didnot like the symphony for a very long time
and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.  But after hearing
a couple of decent, nonprodding performances, I realized it's intent
and excellence.  More than Bruckner, Elgar's symphonies need dynamic
performances-there are very few around.  To davelisters who feel antipithy
towards these works, please check various performances.  These behemouth
works are consistantly solid.

jwc/wi/usa