From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:47:49 -0400
Like many, I have heard Dr. Shiminuki, for some 40 years 'THE' USDA expert
on AFB, speculate on the over-use of patties as being the primary (not only)
factor in bringing us OTC resistant AFB.

I recall his points as:
1.  For about 50 years of using dust there were no reported cases of
resistance.
2.  Two-three years after the introduction of patties, resistance started
showing up in several geographic areas.
3.  An 'advantage' of the patties compared to dust is that they last longer
in the hive, meaning fewer trips by the beekeeper.
3.  As a known way to encourage resistance is to continually expose the
organisms to an antibiotic, and the patties are 'on' longer than is the
dust, it is possible or likely that use of the patties caused resistance to
appear sooner than otherwise.

THERE IS NO PROOF OF THIS.  However, the logic is compelling and if one does
not have resistance now, I personally believe it would be foolish to start
using patties.

As to getting off the TM treadmill, I know those who never got on and don't
see AFB.  I also know those who had total breakdown, were ruthless in
burning, and now have not treated for close to 10 years.  I also know one
beekeeper who tried to 'get off' and gave up when (in the second year) he
saw AFB in every yard and burned about 5% of his equipment.  These
beekeepers range from 10 to 300 hives.  And two of those who do not treat
have about 300 hives each.

If you are a hobbyist, I personally urge you to 'get off'.  Stop buying nucs
or hives from others (regardless of how much you may trust them) unless you
can isolate them from your other bees and equipment for 2 full seasons,
while you do not treat and observe them for disease.  If you get AFB, burn
the equipment and shake the bees onto foundation and start over.

I have been criticized for saying it before...but I see the 'problem' as the
migratory commercial beekeeper who is spreading resistant AFB far and wide,
as (s)he controls (but does not eliminate) it by use of illegal drugs at who
knows what dosage.  If you don't think it is going on, get your head out of
the sand!

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.
Manufacturers of Ross Rounds Comb