From:
cass cohenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:03:41 +0000
A few springs ago, I caught a swarm from a colony and installed it into a
hive body of foundation. I laid the hive on a white linen sheet to shake the
bees on in order to spot the queen and to ensure she made her way into the
hive. The following morning, the swarm absconded fron the hive back into a
cluster on an upper limb of the tall white pine from wwhich they were
fetched. Again I retrieved the swarm and reinstalled it into the hive. By
late afternoon the swarm had once again left the hive to thier piney abode.
I decided at this point that all of the new equipment which I was using was
not scented enough with and the scout pheromone on the branch was more
appealing. I therefor took a jar of chrystalized honey (an old jar from a
few years back) melted it the microwave, and proceeded to lightly coat the
inside of the entire hive. After the forth instalation, the bees decided to
make it thier home. I conjecture that once the swarm entered and explored
the hive and became sticky and could not fly as easily, they stayed put.
After they were clean enough to leave again, they remained because by this
time the new queen had began to produce enough pheromone to hold the bees
together. After a short while colony began to produce comb in abundance.
Ever since this experience anytime I have a problem with bees accepting a
new hive body, medium, or shallow, I lighlty coat the foundation, frames,
and the inner side of the box with honey. Shortly after cleaning the box
which was new and unfamaliar, it becomes famaliar and a part of the hive in
which they will begin to draw comb if needed. I've even had them draw comb
which was never filled. Or maybe it was just partially filled with nectar to
be evaporated and stored below.
Bottom Line-A light coat of honey works best, way better than sugar water.

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2 months FREE!