ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:48:01 -0500

The following excerpt is from the writings of George Sarton, the Harvard pre-eminent historian of science in the early 20th century.  It fits in well with Cliff Wagner's thoughtful comments.
Al Read, Science Discovery Center of Oneonta (NY)

(from "Four Guiding Ideas" in Sarton, George;  Introduction to the History of Science, Vol. 3, part 1, pp. 19-26 (1947) and reprinted in "Sarton on the History of Science", p. 15)

"Science is not distinct from religion or art in being more or less human than they are, but simply because it is the fruit of different needs or tendencies.  Religions exist because men are hungry for goodness, for justice, for mercy; the arts exist because men are hungry for beauty; the sciences exist because men are hungry for truth.  The division is not as clear-cut as that, but it is sufficient to mark out main oppositions.  Think of a triangular pyramid;  the people standing on different faces near the base may be very distant from one another, but they come nearer as they climb higher.  Bigots, little scientists, mediocre artists may feel very distant from one another, but those whose religion is deeper feel very close to the great artists and the great scientists.  The pyramid symbolizes a new kind of trinity culminating in unity."