ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kay Ziff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:43:45 -0700

The history of technology is fascinating, though...

If I remember correctly, Galileo felt his pulse and counted the beats
of his heart to measure how long the drop took. He didn't create his
circulatory system for that purpose, but I would count that as an
ingenious technological solution. Before the invention of the second
hand other scientists used performing musicians to measure the
passage of time.

And the Beagle was high technology itself at the time it sailed.
Darwin recorded data in his journal in words and sketches, and used
tools to preserve the skins of the animals he collected (Jonathan
Weiner's book, The Beak of the Finch, has a great comparison of the
tools Darwin used and the practices of modern-day finch-watchers).
And they are very similar in spirit to the digital cameras Eric
described.

Older technologies can be hard to notice because they just blend in
with the world that we are used to, which I think suggests a good
test of whether to use a technology in an exhibit or program. Does it
blend in, or is it trying to get visitors' attention for itself? When
it is introduced, is it more about the neat-o device, or do people
think "great! now I can...." After a reasonable time to learn its
function I think any well-used technology should quickly disappear
into its role as a tool.
--
   Kay Ziff
   Exhibit Developer