Condense Mail Headers

From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:58:06 -0600
>> My source is very close to the CAPA, the CHC
>> Chemical Comittee and PMRA
>> discussions, and takes issue with the suggestion
>> that these bodies intend to
>> withdraw or limit the use of either formic by
>> Canadian beekeepers.
>
> CHC Resolution #15, January 2004 requested a 2 year
> sunset for C94-05.

I am told that John takes issue with that statement, as do others who have
been instrumental in developing formic treatments.

FWIW, here is the entire text of the CHC motion mentioned in the previous
article.  It reads:

"#15 Carried
Whereas the treatments using formic acid fit within Integrated Pest
Management and will be used on an immediate and long term basis.
Be it resolved that the Canadian Honey Council asks the PMRA to maintain the
existing C94-05 to permit using Formic Acid in beehives for a further 2
years"

Please note the whereas.  It mentions treatments (plural) and immediate
_and_ long term prospects.

I think that readers might wish to read
http://www.pmra-arla.gc.ca/english/pdf/reg/reg_c9405-e.pdf for themselves.
To me it seems like an intelligent document.  Also, reading the posts at
http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S2=bee-l&q=formic+label&s=&f=&a=&b=
could be helpful in understanding the context as well.

> PMRA was taking this very seriously.  They actually
> sent two PMRA people from Ottawa to the NOD research
> sites in August 2002 to examine our protocols and
> familiarize themselves with the industry.  They spent
> the day with us and Provincial Apiarist Doug McRory,
> questioning all pesticide uses and fumigants used in
> the beekeeping industry, as well as formic acid.  They
> went right to the trial sites, and suited up to go
> into the hives.  We opened bee hives for them and,
> along with Alison Skinner of the OBA tech transfer
> program, took them through what they were seeing. We
> were then audited by a Health Canada auditor who came
> down from Guelph to check out our tests sites, and
> then were audited from the Research Auditors from
> Revenue Canada in Ottawa and the local Revenue Canada
> office here in Belleville, who again came on site, to
> make sure the reports written up were valid. Over all,
> just from the federal level, we had five different
> experts come to make sure our trials were on the
> level.

It almost sounds as if NOD is stirring up trouble where there was none.  I
gather that emphasizing the risks and waking sleeping dogs is part of NOD's
strategy to lock out competition from simple remedies.  Please tell me it is
not.

> Mite-AwayII has the shortest varroa treatment time
> frame, formic or other, and the shortest withdrawal
> time.  It is designed for the commercial beekeeper.
> Have you read the label?  Checked out the website?
> www.miteaway.com

Yes, I have, but that is not the question.  Sometimes a full treatment as
prescribed is in order, and sometimes it is not.  Not everyone is using
formic for varroa, either.  Some want a quick hit to knock back tracheal.
Others want release control and don't want to risk putting that one big hit
into the hive and take chances on release.  Others have a system that works
for them.  see Jean-Pierre's site:
http://www.reineschapleau.wd1.net/articles/flash.en.html.

Frankly, most of us do not want a commercial formic product, or to see
anyone stirring up trouble.

> NOD offered to compile, submit, and do the follow up
> for the OA registration on behalf of CHC, who would
> remain the registrant.  NOD sent in an offer to the
> CHC office to do this for $20,000.00, which, if anyone
> is at all familiar with what has to be done for a
> pesticide registration submission would realize,
> doesn't even cover off the expenses.  This offer of
> registration assistance should be seen as a service to
> the industry, not an attempt to control or make money
> off it.  If CHC had accepted our offer, OA would
> probably be legal for use in Canada this fall, right
> now.

Wonder why they did not jump at the chance?

> NOD has been working in the background for the
> beekeepers for the last eight years, and will continue
> to do so.

I hope that raising all sorts of objections to beekeepers using formic the
way they have for the past ten years or so is not part of that agenda.

allen
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/