From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:39:05 +0000
   Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
     "Cantatas from Leipzig 1724"

Cantata BWV 78 "Jesu, der du meine Seele"
Cantata BWV 99 "Was Gott tut, das ist wohlgetan"
Cantata BWV 114, "Ach lieben Christen, seid getrost"

Yukari Nonoshita, soprano
Daniel Taylor, counter-tenor
Makoto Sakurada, tenor
Peter Kooij, bass
Bach Collegium Japan
Masaaki Suzuki, conductor
Recorded Kobe Shoin Women's University Chapel,
Japan, February 200
BIS CD-1361 [62:57]

Rating: 4 1/2 of 6 Stars

Suzuki Cantata Series: Volume 25 represents the mid-point of Suzuki's
major undertaking of all the Bach Cantatas.  Previous volumes have
been enthusiastically received throughout the review community, and
that is no surprise.  Suzuki's performances have been affectionate,
reverent to the texts, and rhythmically supple with generally
excellent support from the vocal soloists and exceptional work from
the orchestra and chorus.  Overall, Suzuki's cycle might well be
the best ever on record.

Volume 25 Program: The three Cantatas on the disc come from Bach's
second year of service in Leipzig during September/October 1724.
Although each of the three Cantatas presents exceptional music, it
is Cantata BWV 78 that is most recorded likely because of the
wonderful duet for soprano and alto "Wir eilen mit schwachen, doch
emsigen Schritten".  More about this duet later in the review.

Performances: With a couple of exceptions, Suzuki is at his customary
best in the three programmed works.  The vocal soloists are
particularly impressive, each of them possessing fine tonal qualities
and expression.

Reservations: My reservations concern the soprano/alto duet and the
concluding Choral from BWV 78.  Both pieces has a warm glow of
spiritual magnitude, and Suzuki's pacing is too quick to fully
capture it.  For comparison, I listened to the Rifkin/Decca and
Herreweghe/Harmonia Mundi versions.  Both performances are slower
in the two pieces, creating sufficient breathing room for the
glorious music.  I should relate that the English translation of
the duet is "We hasten with weak yet eager steps".  So, some might
end up feeling that Suzuki is the conductor who is most eager and
uses the appropriate tempo.  However, this reviewer really misses
the warmth in the music.

Don's Conclusions: With exceptional sound and vocal contributions,
the mid-point volume of Suzuki's Bach Cantata series is easy to
recommend.  And yet, I have nagging doubts about Suzuki's tempos
in the duet and ending Choral from BWV 78, doubts that lead me to
not considering the new volume an essential acquisition except for
those who have been collecting each volume in the series.

Don Satz