Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:43:32 -0400
From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz:

>Segerstam and his orchestra take up these works like heroes.  Not many
>people program Pettersson in the first place, because it takes a commitment
>to hard work - mental, as well as musical - without any guarantee of
>reward, even the reward of praise.  While I can imagine both symphonies
>better played, these performances burn with dedication to Pettersson's
>austere world, and kudos to Bis for making these things available.
>Pettersson I doubt will ever become a popular taste, but his adherents
>are a fierce bunch, hungry for more.

Count me in on Pettersson, although I've heard only his 7 and 11
Segerstam, Norrkoeping; BIS CD-580) and 8 and 10 (same, BIS CD-880).
Not something I listen to every day, or even twice a year, but thanks
to the above review I'll be looking for 3 and 15 now.  Thanks for this
excellent review.

The thought of a television network, even a state-owned one,
commissioning a symphony by anyone -- let alone the music of Pettersson
-- has me reeling.

Mitch Friedfeld