HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:22:22 -0500
"Bedford Street Frog & Dragon Pipe: Looks like possibly a Haida pipe carved
from whale bone. I think the "dragon" may be Raven rather than dragon. There
is a well-known story among northwestern coast cultures about a raven that
brings light to the Earth (in his beak). In Haida myth, Frog is Raven's
wife. Almost all Haida (and other northwest coast) pipes were carved of
argillite after the 1850s, and whalebone & ivory rarely used for carved
pipes anymore, so the dating would be right for your site.

How does a Haida pipe find its way into a NYC privy? There were several
captains of New England whaling vessels who built sizeable collections of
carved ivory & scrimshaw from the northwest coast cultures ... favorite
collectables were utilitarian items like pipes and ivory-handled razors &
knives (... and off-colour knick-knacks). Aye, methinks to perceive a
certain nautical whiff from your toilet collection.

Bob Skiles
~~~~~
"Now there are so many scientists who believe in dowsing, that the suspicion
comes to me that it may be only a myth after all".  ~ Charles Hoy Fort