HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:48:23 -0500
Thanx for your good research and advice Lenny:)  I have learned more
about this project today and apparently the site area is outside the ROW
on private property reportedly owned by the uncle of a Senator.  Some of my
friends
in Alabama have filled me in on a loophole that is allowing this to happen.

According to their deputy SHPO, Alabama's burial law states:

"Any person who knows of the discovery of human remains and/or funerary
objects on state or private land ceases any and all land-disturbing activity
and notifies the AHC immediately. Any person who willfully or maliciously
desecrates an American Indian place of burial or funerary objects on
property not owned by that person, or injures, defaces, removes or destroys
any tomb, monument or container of human remains, and invades or mutilates
the human corpse or remains is guilty of a Class C felony.

 However, the loophole in Alabama's burial law in this case is this:
"desecrates an
American Indian place of burial or funerary objects ON PROPERTY NOT OWNED BY
THAT PERSON." This means that if you own the land, you can indiscriminantly
do anything you
want with Native American sites including cemeteries.  The cultural resource
professionals I
 have corresponded with in Alabama do not think this is fair or
constitutional, but it is what their
legislature passed and they have to live with it..
In this case, it is the property owner who is damaging the site and legally,
they can do
nothing about it.  He has also not been open to investigation of
the site.

Sounds like this might be a job for a more militant group such as the
American Indian Movement, ehhh:):)

Any ideas?  Anyway we can put pressure to bear and help show Alabama
politicians the SHAMEFUL error of their legislation?

Dan Allen
Cumberland Research Group, Inc.
and
The Center for Historic Preservation @ MTSU