HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:49:47 -0400
Lauren,

"How is that relevant?" Well, I consider historic buildings an artifact of an
archaeological landscape and wanted to know what people think. There are two
things about California law that make this relevant. First, property owners
who propose to damage historic buildings are subject to the California
Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and my feeling is that gutting a potential National
Register building (does not have to be on a register) would trigger an
environmental impact report. Second, property owners of buildings that could be
landmarked (local, state or national) qualify for 20-70% property tax reduction under
the Mills Act. The property owner last night was defiant and refused to apply
for Mills Act because he is hell-bent to gut the building and demanded
approval without getting caught up in CEQA. Without judging the historic board that
allowed the gutting to occur, I was simply seeking comment... and got it.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.