HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:28:41 -0400
In Philadelphia, Ron, architects and contractors would call that
a "rehab."  Except that they probably wouldn't bother to save the
facade, unless it were noteworthy in some respect.  Roofs and interior
walls are sometimes beyond repair, the interior spaces often do not
suit clients' needs, the paint is peeling and the plaster coming off of
the walls, etc.  After the reconstruction, the value of the property,
and the taxes the owner pays will go up, which benefits the public, and
the streetscape is preserved.  At least until someone buys the houses
next door and tears them down to make room for a Mickey D's (with lots
of open space in the parking lot).

As for S of I standards, is it a 106 project?  If not, how is that
relevant?