HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:41:00 -0400
Oh, before I forget this tale, I need to pass it along. Back when I worked
for the County of San Diego as their staff archaeologist, I field inspected a
property and found a grave marked "Jingles Varela, 1958" surrounded by a pile of
stones. Of course, I made a real to do about preserving the cultural resting
place of Mr. Jingles and the developer screamed bloody murder about losing
land. Faced with possibly calling in the Coroner or losing the land, he hired a
consultant team and they shot fancy black and white photographs, drew sketches,
and laid out a neat scientific excavation unit. About 24-inches down, the
crew exposed, photographed, and sketched the remains of a medium-sized dog in a
fetal position. Suddenly, barreling out of the neighbor's yard was a maelstorm
of children screaming and crying and demanding to know why we were digging up
their pet dog?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.