HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:27:27 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]>  (i.e paul courtney) writes
>I would argue that the really interestinng thing about studying real
>landscapes is there very complexity and that it so often gives you
>unexpected data upseting  your original preconceptions and subverting
>whatever theoretical models you had intended to apply.

I find that studying the real _anything_ gives you this.  Often I find
that when I have difficulty getting my head round something, getting my
body round it is the best way forwards.

Your mention of the Raunds project brought back memories - the trouble
with visiting such projects as a young teenager is that it took me years
to work out that not all archaeology (outside urban centres - the other
projects I saw were the ones in the centre of Northampton) was being
done in that way!

With best wishes,

Pat

--