HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Lebo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:24:28 -1000
Hi,

I am trying to find references to whale-tooth (ivory) beads from archaeological sites in North America or elsewhere dating to the late 18th or early 19th centuries. I have images drawn by explorers documenting cornaline d'aleppo glass beads with the whale-tooth beads in Hawaii by 1816. I'm hoping to find out where the whale tooth beads and the  d'aleppo beads were imported from and whether they appear on sites elsewhere before 1816. I believe they arrived in Hawaii as part of the China Trade.  I tried to attach images, but they cause my email message to be rejected by Histarch. If someone wishes to see the images, please email me separately.

Sincerely,

susan

Susan A. Lebo, PhD
Dept of Anthropology