HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:14:04 -0700
I didn't see the original posting about this...and probably shouldn't
bother replying...but...I have seen a (dead) desicated or "mummified" cat
that was found under a house floor (in the crawl space).  Upon drying...the
skin pulls back...so it would be 'normal' for the mouth to be gaping
wide...and the form to look "grotesque" (contorted)...even if the animal
died while curled up sleeping.  My point being, they don't have to die a
traumatic death to look this way...natural desication creates such a
look...from my limited experience with such dead bodies.  Cats can crawl
into small spaces...and die 'accidentally' inside walls, etc.  I doubt
many, if any, were put into the walls on purpose (unwillingly, etc.).