HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Greg Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:23:48 -0700
Does anyone out there know of a way to date Prince Albert-type tobacco tins by their physical attributes? I've heard mention of the number of hinges/hinge pins meaning something, but I don't know the correlation between attribute and date. I've tried searching the Internet briefly for some sort of dating guide to tobacco tins, but couldn't find one. Perhaps someone who reads this can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Greg Johnson
Archaeologist and Editor
Historic Division
Statistical Research, Inc.