HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Holland, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:06:42 -0400
Better to study the meaning of these films in their cultural context, i.e. the present, than to try to convince the viewing public of their accuracy. People who want accuracy are usually academics and bookworms, representing about 0.5% of the population. Never mind the ever-present spectre of historical revisionism. All interpretation of the past is just that: interpretation. The people who watch Hollywood films are the current incarnation of the general public that we are studying through archaeology. They are seeking entertainment mixed with a good lesson or a satisfying fantasy. They aren't necessarily interested in the truth. The value of historical films is how they reflect the attitudes and desires of the people who make them and the people who "consume" them. And that is the related but different discipline of sociology/cultural anthropology. By attempting to influence these perceptions, you are simply participating in the culture. And perhaps engaging in yet another discipline: politics. Which is not at all to say that it isn't a fun exercise. I do it all the time. ;-)

Jeff
Jeffrey L. Holland
Senior Historian
TRC Companies, Inc.