HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:45:38 -0500
Title should be "Hollywood, 'tis a silly place".  Just found out the other
evening when I called up my brother to wish him a "Happy Birthday" that he
is finally retired from the Screen Actors Guild in Hollywood.  However, he
is still working since his pension is just about enought to buy groceries
and not pay all of the bills.  We have talked about Hollywood or "LaLa
Land" for 30 years.

The phrase "Never let the facts stand in the way of the story" ranks right
up there with "The sun rises in the east".  Hollywood never has and never
WILL present a completly factual ANYTHING - even so called "documentaries".
Most "technical experts"  never work for the film industry more than once.
They have to have some pretty hard bark on them to take the "make believe"
on a regular basis.

Hollywood is a wonderfull place for great yarns and love stories. That is
what they do for a living.  But arguing the historical merits of anything
they create is indeed a "Tempest in a Teacup".  Of course, I know of some
discussion lists that are even arguing the historical accuracy of the Lord
of the Rings trilogy.  I am still trying to figure that one out.

Anyone wanting several days worth such examples, without hitting the same
movie twice, is free to buy me a libation in York this January.

:-)

Smoke.

Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA
Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
605 West Main Street
Russellville, Arkansas 72801
(479) 968-2354  Ext. 233
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.