HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"George L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:37:25 -0400
Owens factory numbers

An Owens-Illinois Glass Company catalog for milk bottles published in
October 1960 (Catalog Bulletin Seventy-eight) has an outline map of the
United States that shows its glass container factories which are numbered.
This map appears to be listing only those factories that produced milk
bottles.  The map includes the following plants and their numbers.
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  N  | City          | state       |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  2  | Huntington    | W. Virginia |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  3  |Fairmount      | W. Virginia |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  6  | Charleston    | W. Virginia |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  7  | Alton         | Illinois    |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  9  | Streator      | Illinois    |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  10 | Atlanta       | Georgia     |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  12 | Gas City      | Indiana     |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  14 | Bridgeton     | New Jersey  |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  15 | Okmulgee      | Oklahoma    |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  17 | Clarion       | Pennsylvania|
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  20 | Brackenridge  | Pennsylvania|
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  21 | Portland      | Oregon      |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  23 | Los Angeles   | California  |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  27 | Toledo        | Ohio        |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  63 | St. Cloud     | Wisconsin   |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  64 | San Jose      | California  |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  67 | Riverdale     | New Jersey  |
|-----+---------------+-------------|
|  68 | Glassboro     | New Jersey  |
|-----+---------------+-------------|

Plants up to number 21 match those listed on page 395 of Toulouse.  Page 8
of the 1960 catalog states that "All bottom plates on our bottles carry the
following identification: Factory number  Duraglas  Year of Manufacture"
The I-in-an-O mark that had been adopted by that time was place on the heel
of the bottle.  From this information, we are missing a great many of glass
factory numbers.

      Tony McNichol and I presented a paper on dating bottles made on the
Owens machine at the SHA meetings a couple of years ago.  I can send a copy
of that paper and a bib on machine-made bottles to those that might want
it.  Copies of this paper have already been sent to many HISTARCH members.
Contact me offline for copies of either of these items.

Peace,
George L. Miller
URS Corporation
561 Cedar Lane