HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:07:08 -0500
Everything old is new again.  At the first SHA I attended back in 1976, I
saw a marvelous paper on just this topic (family cycles). To this day, it
remains one of my favorites.  Since then, I seem to see family cycles in
nearly every household deposit!   The paper was presented by Marley Brown
III on the Mott Farm Site.  (I remember it so well, because, at the time, I
was toying with the idea of selecting historical archaeology as my career
path, and his presentation along with the other Mott Farm papers (in a
session composed of Deetz grad. Students), really made Historical
Archaeology meaningful for me, and pushed me headlong into the field.
Anyway, this work at Mott Farm, certainly should be considered a "classic"
in your interest area, and is something that you shouldn't overlook.  Marley
is at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, so you might locate a copy
through him there.  I'm not sure if this was his dissertation or not.

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba Archaeological Site
719 Tremont Street