HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Salter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:38:24 +0100
Mossbauer basically works by measuring the state oxidisation state of
iron oxides (Fe2+ or Fe3+) present in the ceramic.

The chemical analysis work has been done for some English Porcelains by
researchers at the British Museum Research laboratory and elsewhere,
using a mixture of SEM-EDX analysis of body and glaze composition,
petrology and XRD to identify mineral. (An initial study was Tite, M.S.
and Bimson,  M. 1991. ‘A technological Study of English porcelains’.
Archaeometry 33.1  3-27; there has been some further work by others
including Ian Freestone since but I do not have the references to hand.)

        I am currently doing similar work trying to identify the source of a
late 18th century piece in which barium sulphate have been added to the
body as well as bone ash. Does anybody know of any manufacturer other
than Wedgewood that used this addition?

--
Chris Salter,
Oxford Materials Characterisation Service,