HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:43:00 -0500
We had a good one in the university of frankfurt/oder - mix of
art/architectural history, restoration, legislation, maintaining archives
(what do you do with all the old east german secret police records? How do
you move all the nazi/soviet archives out of a world heritage site [a palace
in potsdam] when the state is woefully underfunded? Etc.), project
management, etc. - deliberately multidisciplinary, and I really learned a
lot about what art/architectural historians could tell me about the economix
of building cathedrals, for example; how stone masons were
trained/apprenticed & moved around from job to job in medieval europe, and
might maybe work themselves up to actually designing back in the days before
there were professional architects -
Just because they're not archaeologists, doesn't mean they're dummies -
think of the similar disconnect between archaeologists and
geoarchaeologists/pedologists; how difficult it is talking to one another
sometimes about soil types or whatever...
Then again, my wife started studying medieval history & then switched over
to doing archaeology for her MA (in medieval history, U Barcelona)

geoff carver - SUNY buffalo
http://www.doyouknow.org/