HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:37:09 -0500
Bad enough to find drip irrigation tubettes and trip wires, but on one
particularly long drive to the Anza Borrego Desert to inspect a subdivision I had to
stop at a civilian gas station in order to make it home. Snow flurries had me
rushing inside the tiny gas station at Ranchito to find the attendant. As I
burst in the door, I found six burly cowboy types huddled around a pot belly
stove drinking beer and looking like deer caught in the headlights. The
loudmouth who threatened my life and liberty later turned out to be a County
Department of Agriculture empoyee. I got two bucks worth of gas and got the heck "out
of dodge." I filed a complaint and investigators discovered the Aggie was
afraid I would spill the beans he was drinking on the job. This is definitely not
the kind of thing you are taught in archaeology field school.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.