HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lon Bulgrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:20:10 +1000
Ok....I guess that I finally have to open my big mouth.  I have worked
with acryloid B72 and it is just not very effective, especially as a
fixative.  Man alive, trying to keep glass together with this stuff is
damn near impossible.  Ceramics are not much better, especially refined
white earthenwares/ Ironstones/ graniteware/ etc., etc.  Then there is
the issue of the solvents that you have to use (and inhale) in order to
comply with curatorial standards. I know that we have recently discussed
the hazards of field work but please do not forget that us former (and
current) lab rats are being exposed to some pretty nasty #$%^!   If I
remember correctly, acryloid B 72 is dissolved in acetone.  Consulting
my 2000 Emergency Response Guidebook (I encourage all archaeologists to
be HAZMAT trained)the recommended protective clothing is *positive
pressure self contained breathing apparatus*!!!!!  In addition, it is
noted that "structural firefighter's protective clothing will only
provide limited protection"!  We ain't talking about a Sunday ice cream
social here!  So, when you are confronted with curatorial standards that
require the use of this stuff, think hard.  I would probably go with Ron
May's suggestion (I think it was you Ron, but if not please forgive me)
that you bag the artifact with an associated tag (I prefer that the tag
is protected within another zip-lock bag).  As we have discussed
previously, we are potentially exposed to a whole series of nasty
chemicals in our work.  Lets keep it as safe as we can folks...you know
that the beer alone is going to get us later  ;)
Lon