Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 13:18:24 -0700
From:
Charles Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Just a quick note to tell you about something you might enjoy.

Alan Farley and I have now produced a one-hour radio documentary on
Carlos Kleiber, the late -- and unequalled -- conductor.  We draw from
a humber of his recordings, including Freischutz, Traviata, Brahms 4,
Beethoven 5, the Blue Danube, and Borodin 2.

We also read a few of his letters, these never before having been made
public, and I talk a bit about what he was like as a person.

And we include a couple of audio clips from one of his two-only recorded
rehearsals.

I think it's pretty good, and hope you have a chance to hear it.

If you don't know what Kleiber's reputation was, a brief quote from the
leading German critic of the day, reviewing Carlos' famous recording of
Beethoven 5 with the Vienna Philharmonic:

   "It was as if Homer himself had come back to read from The Iliad."

THURSDAY AUGUST 5
1 to 2pm
KALW-FM  San Francisco
91.7

It will also be re-broadcast a couple of times thereafter, but I don't
have the dates/times yet.  If you'd like them, please let me know.

Thanks,

Charles