Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 10:53:33 -0700
From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
I'm drooling.  Any of our esteemed Mahlerians heard this performance
yet, on Decca?  Please tell me that Chailly stuck a louder, more manly
muffler on Mahler's limo this time.  The SACD version isn't available
here in the States until 2007 or something like that.  (I exaggerate,
but considering we buy the most CM--not per capita, that honor belongs
to the UK--the lag doesn't seem in any company's best interest.)

I'm really enjoying Griffes' music on Naxos with Falletta conducting.
Yes, it's a CD. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tolerate the sound
of such an ancient format anymore but the excitement was still there to
buy this new release.  The usual standards are included: White Peacock,
Pleasure Dome, etc.; but there are also two works new to me: A vocal
work for Soprano and orchestra, "Three Poems of McLeod," and an orchestral
work, "Clouds." If you like your Strauss crossed with Debussy, you'll
lap up the Poems, let me tell you.  I wish the voice wasn't so
forwardly-recorded, as there are just tidal-waves of gorgeous sound upon
which the singer *should* be riding.  (This singer's on the beach.) In
all the works, the strings are much more full and voluptuous than Schwartz'
on Delos, and the recording yields plenty of atmosphere for your soft
bass drum, cymbal and harp needs.  An absolute winner.

Big organ award: I've just now gotten around to hearing Bernstein's DG
recording of Mahler's 2nd.  Never, ever have I heard such earth-shaking
organ pedals in the finale--it gave me chills to no end.  If you can
make it through the rather willful 1st mov't, the rest is riveting.

Dangerously off- topic, but I'll try here.  I just bought a $250 Sony
Universal SACD player for its surround capability.  Yes, $250 and it got
raves in the "Absolute Sound" magazine.  (My "quality" SACD player is
only 2 channel.) Anyway, I hooked it up to a $300 surround sound in a
box, (used for movies), and, ladies and gentleman, the results were
absolutely breath-taking.  Tilson-Thomas' Mahler 6th expanded into the
room as if one dipped a freeze-dried sponge into water for the first
time to activate it.  Cheap Gimmickry?  No.  You can't hear anything
from the back speakers, but somehow the "silent" ambience expands the
stage 20 feet everything is in service to the music as it should be
heard.  (Discreet surround is *not* quadraphonia, or Beethoven on LSD.)
As for antiphonal music, Linn's recording of Tallis' "Spem and Alium"
almost brought a tear to my eye.

Long story longer: if you've got a cheapie surround system for your TV,
add a player and give it a try--the effect is heart-stopping.

John Smyth
Sac, CA