Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:16:56 +0000
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Many of you have probably heard of the relatively new record label
"AVIE".  I just wanted to add my name to the list of folks who have been
pleased with purchases from this record company.  Some of their discs I
have enjoyed include Enescu Suites for Piano performed by Luiza Borac,
Strauss' Ein Heldenleben and Metamorphosen conducted by Semyon Bychov,
Franck's Symphony in D minor conducted by Jan Latham-Koenig, Ibert's
opera "Persee Et Andromede" also conducted by Latham-Koenig, and Handel's
"Tamerlano" conducted by Trevor Pinnock.

Future releases I look forward to include the Bach Cello Suites played
on baroque cello by Phoebe Carrai and Mahler's 3rd Symphony conducted
by Bychov.  It's always great to see a new label come into the limelight,
running at a fast pace and effectively competing with the companies we
have known and been frustrated with for many years.  As an example,
Sony dumped its superb "Vivarte" series that specialized in baroque
and classical-era music but continues to deluge us with Bach recordings
from Murray Perahia.  I find this frustrating, given that Perahia is not
usually idiomatic in baroque music.  Actually, he's not idiomatic in any
music - it's always Perahia plays Perahia.  His Handel/Scarlatti recording
was particularly "out in left field".  Yes, his pianism is top-rate and
he is quite appealing in a generic sense, but what ever happened to
trying to get into the composer's psyche?  I shudder to think what Perahia
would do with the music of Scriabin.

Okay, I'm off the Perahia tirade.  Do check out the AVIE recordings.  I
think you'll be quite satisfied.  If not, I'll give you back your money
at an unspecified future date.

Don Satz