From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:27:56 -0400
Dee Lusby wrote:

> You cannot build resistance to AFB with inbuilt fear in
> your minds, for honeybees that live in a natural
> co-existance harmonious relationship in Nature are always
> exposed.

If you look at the way that feral bees take care of AHB, it is not just
hygienic behavior, since they can be overwhelmed just like managed
hives.  "Nature" handles the problem through swarming or absconding.
Bees may carry the spores along with them in ingested honey, but they
start from scratch at the new location, so any "infected" honey is
consumed and a fresh start on clean comb without AHB is made. The old,
"infected" hive is cleaned out by wax moths and other scavengers and
becomes available for future use. So "Nature" breaks the cycle by
starting fresh.

Beekeepers, by burning AFB "infected" equipment and occasionally shaking
bees onto foundation, are following nature. Recycled wax is not natural
but is a practice of the beekeeper. It will work fine under conditions
of isolation from heavy AFB. Plus, in the drawn comb the area of
possible  contact is small since the recycled wax is foundation and the
bottom of the cell. The sides of the cell and capping are new wax from
nectar.

The risk is still there, since bees do "recycle" comb. It is just that
it is minimal in a well managed apiary. But it is not natural. The lack
of AFB says little other than it it not around. As I have said many
times, my first hives (bought from a beekeeper) were heavy with AFB and
I burned the lot. I have not treated for it since my fearful couple of
years after that. But it is not nature nor hygienic bees that are
keeping AFB away, but the lack of beekeepers in the area.

Truth is, beekeeping is not natural. (And by inference, neither are
Beekeepers :))

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine