ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:11:08 -0800

I remember seeing a nice heliostat setup in the
exhibit hall at the Fiske Planetarium at the University
of Colorado in Boulder (many years ago).

They were using the light from the heliostat in three
ways...

1. A white light image projection onto a screen so
    visitors could see sun spots.

2. An eyepiece you could use to look through an
    H-alpha filter to see the surface features of the
    sun.

3. A portion of the sunlight was put through a high
    quality diffraction grating to project a 4-6 foot long
    projection of the sun's spectra.  I think I remember
    some bright and dark lines and a 'key' visitors could
    use to identify the lines.  The other thing that was
    great was that you (the visitor) could put a phosphorescent
    card at the end of the visible spectra to see the
    ultra-violet part of the spectrum.

Of course this memory is more than 20 years old and
I could have enhanced what was really there.

David

                   David Taylor
       AHHA Museum Services
            Now I Understand