HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:38:32 -0400
Larry's parable is both interesting and entertaining.

As one who was involved in extensive discussion of reflexive archaeology 10 or 15 years ago, The present discussion is most amusing.  My recollection of reflexivity was as an activity that took place before going into the field, when research questions were framed, and after getting out of the field, when analyzing and reporting the results.  The Ap is still the Ap, no matter what broadly methodological approach one is using.  It is still 10YR  5/3, brown fine sandy loam (or whatever), containing 3 quartz debitage fragments, 4 undecorated pearlware sherds and 2 annular pearlware sherds (or whatever).

In interpreting it all, the archaeologist may feel a responsibility to examine how her or his experience, (or for that matter the past scholarship in the discipline), relates to the material and the lives of the people who threw it out.  That's how I conceived reflexivity entering the process, and still do.  At the time some of us felt that not considering the archaeologist as a participant in the creation of particular pasts made us neither more scientific, nor brought us closer to a "true" past.  Some of us were accused of "just telling stories" by people who simply didn't like the stories that we were telling, or the people who we were telling them about, and accused of being "unscientific" by people who still felt that hypothetico-deductive reasoning expressed through statistical analysis of test hypotheses was the sole determinant of "truth."

Lauren J. Cook, RPA
Senior Archaeologist
Richard Grubb & Associates, Inc.
30 North Main Street