HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:43:26 +0000
I can't help but notice that everyone's assuming that our
1905 whiskey drinker is consuming American rye/bourbon -
though it's admittedly implied that he (she?) is drinking an
American or Irish product through the use of the 'whiskey'
spelling.

But might I lightly suggest the possibility that our whisky
(without the 'e') drinker of 1905 might have been drinking
Scotch?

Any number of existing distilleries trace their history to
the 19th (or even 18th) century, so it shouldn't be very
difficult to find an appropriate brand.  The chosen brand
might also potentially say a lot about the character of the
person in question... Someone who chose to drink an Islay
malt (Ardbeg, anyone?) might be a very different person from
someone who chose one of the better-known Speyside
distelleries.

And there's a whole world of blended Scotch out there as
well...

Alasdair Brooks

>From: Allen Vegotsky <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Quality whiskey and cigars
>~~~~
>Cathy, Your friend could contact Robert E. Snyder about the
whiskey
>question, since he is an expert on late 19th, early 20th
century whiskeys.
>He has written 2 books on the subject and heads the Snyder
Whiskey Research
>Center, 4235 West 13th, Amarillo, TX 79106. (I hope the
address is still
>current.) In his book on whiskey advertising called
"Whiskey Paper)
>(Published by the author in 1980), he lists and dates
several whiskeys sold
>around 1905. These include Detrick's Old Reserve (wholesale
price: $1.25
>per quart in 1909), Sherwood Distillery's Copper Distilled
Pure Rye Malt
>Whiskey (advertised in 1904), Old Bradlee Rye Whiskey
(advertised in 1907),
>Cyrus Noble Old Bourbon Whiskey (adv. in 1903), Duffy's
Pure Malt Whiskey (a
>major product for many years- at least from 1850 to 1910),
among many
>others.
>Allen Vegotsky

the brand name
> of a good quality whiskey and cigar from about 1905. Can
anyone help?

> Cathy
>

> Catherine Holder Spude ¨ Archeologist ¨ Cultural
Resources Management ¨
> National Park Service – Intermountain Region ¨
505.988.6831Voice ¨
> 505.988.6876 Fax
> The National Park Service cares for special places saved
by the American

¨
–