From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:16:59 -0500
Bill Blank referred to "mature youthfulness".  I am not sure if I had
this when I was younger or should be getting it any day now.

As to Rachmaninoff:

Again I can only say great things about the complete Piano and Orchestra
works with Agustin Anievas.  American Record Guide was totally with me
on this.  His 3rd is not outstanding, but there are many more to choose
from.  The BEST in my opinion (and in the opinion of others) is the
Gavrilov/Lazarev version that has not come out on CD yet that I know of.
Don't think that the Gavrilov/Muti is just as good - it is not.

My latest favorite 3rd is with Santiago Rodriguez paired with the
Prokofieff 3rd.  I heard things in the Rachmaninoff that I had never
heard quite so clearly before - lots of inner voices that were brought
out in a bit more relief than usual, but didn't distract from the overall
impression.  High octane!

There is still the old Cliburn/Kondrashin recorded on my 18th birthday
on May 1958.  I don't think that they did it just for me, but you never
know.  This was my first 3rd, and I still miss the coughs in all the
other recordings.

Others have mentioned Volodos and I like his too.  Lang Lang is so so,
so so.

Someone expressed the opinion that the Naxos versions of Rachmaninoff
playing his works sounded better than those on the other label (RCA,
most likely).  I have those LPs.

Orozco's versions are a relatively recent purchase and I like them so
far, but haven't lived with them long enough.  I don't like the Argerich
and I won't even mention the Helfgott.  John Lill is quite good on the
3rd with a somewhat laid-back elegant approach that you don't hear too
often.

Off the beaten path, there are recordings of the 2nd, 3rd and Rhapsody
with Prats that I like very much.  He too, brings lots of notes more
forward than some pianists and gives very clear performances with lots
of details.  I don't much care for any of the Horowitz versions, but
maybe I am being preverse.

Janis is good in almost everything.  Even more off the beaten path is
the 2 piano version of the 3rd with Jeffrey Baker playing with himself
- a bit metronomic, but a must-have for any Rachmaninoff lover.  Other
collectors will also want the original versions of the 1st and 4th with
Ghindin/Ashkenazy.  A bit over the top, but rather fun.

I have 7 conplete sets of the P & O works and a total of 37 versions of
the 3rd.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the Anievas (mid priced) and add the
Rodriguez for the 3rd.

BTW - I have seen a few sets of the "Complete" concertos that do NOT
include the Paganini Rhapsody.  Caveat!

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan