From:
Bob Zeidler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:32:13 EST
Bill ([log in to unmask]) writes:

>I am searching for a cellist soloist who appeals to me.  Since Casals,
>I can't find one I really like. I usually use the Elgar Em concerto as
>a test, partly because I heard Casals live which brought me to tears,
>romance and the joy of melancholy.  I would like to relive this in
>recordings.  ...
>
>Would anyone recommend a 'passionate' cellist young enough to have recorded
>DDD modern recodings?

You might want to give Maria Kliegel a try. (It's only a Naxos!) I'm
thoroughly impressed with her recording of the Kodaly Sonata for Solo
Cello (and other Kodaly cello/piano works).  While I've not heard her
Elgar E-minor Concerto, someone else has and thought highly of it:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000013SX/classicalnetA/

Hope this helps.

Bob