From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:15:39 -0600
      John McCabe

* Edward II

Royal Ballet Sinfonia/Barry Wordsworth
Hyperion CDA67135/6 Total time: 113:49

Summary for the Busy Executive: Go figure.

I've never particularly cared for John McCabe's music.  Despite a
brilliantly-worked surface and a microscopic attention to thematic
variation, it never seemed to go anywhere.  I thought McCabe may have
fallen into a trap crowded with a lot of post-World War II composers:
that because one could trace thematic development, one also had created
a satisfying rhetorical structure.  In McCabe's case, I felt as if I
watched a weight lifter pick up several hundred pounds and then set it
down on the exact same spot, or the clockwork innards of a Swiss watch
rather than the functional exoskeleton of a steam locomotive.  I could
see why people liked McCabe; he doesn't purvey shoddy stuff.  However,
his music never did what I want music to do -- to give me the sensation
of a transforming journey through time.  The music transforms like crazy,
but it didn't seem to journey.

Consequently, I put off reviewing this CD for a couple of weeks.  I had
no desire to slam McCabe, or anyone else for that matter, but the CD
began to loom too large on my psychic horizon.  I found myself dreading
the review I thought I would probably write.  So I told myself, "What
the hell?" and gritted my teeth and prepared to hate what I was about
to hear.

You're probably way ahead of me right now.  This ballet succeeds like
gangbusters, moving like no other McCabe work I've heard and yet still
recognizably McCabe, full of his usual procedures.  Once again, we find
the closely-worked thematic development.  Indeed, Guy Rickards's liner
notes argue briefly but convincingly that the entire ballet derives from
the opening plainchant-like theme describing the funeral rites for Edward
I.  I would add that McCabe's powers of thematic transformation and
variety fall nothing short of extraordinary.  Clearly, a ballet composer
doesn't have to do this.  In fact, very few of the standard ballets, if
any, work this way.  I can't think of any before the Modern era.  However,
they do have to tell a story, and it would be nice if they delineated
character as well.  McCabe writes with roughly the same attention to
musical argument as a symphony writer, although he doesn't attempt to
make a "symphony-ballet." I strongly suspect this is simply how he writes
all his music.  Here, it's a bonus rather than a be-all.

The action is of course the story, told by Marlowe and (later) Brecht,
of how Edward's infatuation for his lovers Gaveston and Despenser ruined
his kingdom.  McCabe and his librettist don't shy away from much, including
Edward's grand guignol death, by red-hot poker up the anus.  However,
McCabe's music emphasizes the dramatic and the psychological, rather
than the spectacular.  The three dance duets between Queen Isabella and
the Duke of Mortimer stand out.  The first is a failed dance of seduction,
the second passionate, the third depravity, as their relationship
progresses.  Edward's scenes in prison emphasize his inner despair
rather than the horrors.

The instrumentation ranges from the lean and angular to the grotesque
to the tender, and all the textures sound as clear as an oboe's A.
McCabe's orchestra scintillates in a characteristic way.  It reminds
me of a hummingbird's throat.  He gets wonderful new sounds from old
combinations and the sparing introduction of unusual instruments -- this
time, an electric guitar played with the experimental exuberance of a
Jimmy Page or a Jimi Hendrix.  Like those two, McCabe re-imagines the
sounds this instrument can make and then -- this is the important part
-- integrates it into music and the drama.  There's not a lot of electric
guitar in the piece, but you remember its appearances.

I hope I haven't given the impression that the score is all duty and
lessons.  There are plenty of bon-bons as well: a rather scruffy set
for a rather scruffy theatrical troupe that comments satirically on the
action; a hair-raising war dance by Edward's estranged wife, Isabella,
the "she-wolf of France"; a tender pastorale as Edward and his lover
Gaveston picnic and frolic.

Wordsworth and the Sinfonia do very well by a rich and complex score,
but it's still an early performance.  If Edward II ever becomes a standard
or even occasionally revived, its familiarity, if nothing else, will
inspire performances more polished.  Nevertheless, Wordsworth reveals
the dramatic power and the musical stature of the score.

Steve Schwartz