ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Debbie Syrop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:15:59 -0000

"...science is based on what can be concluded and inferred based on
evidence. "Faith-based ways of knowing" are about believing stuff despite
having absolutely no evidence (and often despite contrary evidence)."

This nicely sums up how the word 'faith' is widely used and understood in society today. However it is not the Biblical view which says that faith is trusting in something or someone. For example, if I was to say "I don't believe in mobile phones" I don't mean that I don't believe that they exist or that I have no evidence for them but that I don't trust them.

Everything I believe whether 'scientific' or 'religious' or 'other' is based on the fact that there is more evidence for it than against it. My scientific views are as much based on faith as my religious views are based on evidence.

Shouldn't science centres be careful that they are not responsible for perpetuating the view that science and religion are incompatible? There are a range of views within the religious community just as there are a range of views within the science community and some of these views overlap. Otherwise how come many scientiats have no difficulty in believing in God? Many of the pioneers of modern science were especially religious and were motivated by their faith to find out more about the world around them.

A good introductory book on this topic is 'Unnatural Enemies: an introduction to Science and Religion' by Kirsten Birkett.

I realise not everyone thinks this is a good topic for this mailing list and therefore if anyone wants to further the debate feel free to email me.

Debbie Syrop