ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Shelly Goglick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:05:27 -0600

>This could cover anything that is spider related, from web building to moulting,

Give the kids some duct tape rolled back on itself and tell them they have to get it off without using their other hand.  Take the tape off and have the kids rub their hands on a paper towel that has oil on it, their hands won't stick to the tape now.  Shows how insects get trapped, and how some spiders have oil glands on their legs to keep them from sticking to their own webs.

Give each kid a long piece of string and have them sit in a half or full circle holding the strings tight.  Blindfold the kids.  You hold all their strings in one hand.  Pluck one of the strings to make it vibrate.  Have the kid who feels their string vibrating raise their hand. This demonstrates how a spider knows when an insect is stuck in their web and where the insect is stuck.

>Has anybody ever demonstrated how hydraulic pressure works and how did you

I think this is hydraulics.  Give each child a plastic grocery bag and show them how to twist it so you can blow it into a balloon shape. Have them practice.  Get 2 round tables. Have the kids place their bags on top of one table.  Turn the second table upside down on top of the other, making sure the kids bags openings are sticking out.  Instruct the students to go to their bags and blow them up like they did before - the table will rise.  Ask them if they think they can get it to rise with a person on top. Get on top of the table and have the students blow again - the table will go up. Air pressure (hydraulics) lifting things!
Shelly Goglick
Sci-Quest
Huntsville, AL