HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lauren Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:14:25 -0400
I would be more worried about anthrax than smallpox. Anthrax spends part of
its lifecycle as spores which survive in soil for some time.  APHA
publications indicate that for Smallpox, contact with infected persons or
"material recently contaminated," is the mode of transmission. While
definitions of "recently" may vary, I think archaeological deposits are
probably not a great concern.

Benenson, Abram S., ed.
1980 Control of Communicable Diseases in Man.  13th ed. American Public
Health Association, Washington, DC.