HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:03:54 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:53:41 -0400
Subject: Re: Tidal Mills
To: [log in to unmask]

In the boundary of the Constitution Marsh and Foundry Cove is a long
stonework "dam" that has been breached in the middle, or just appears
to be. I was told and read I think somewhere that the feature was
associated with rice cultivation in the Constitution Marsh part of
Constitution Island, a fortification described by the Dutch born
cartographer, Bernard Romans, across from West Point Military Academy
("Bernard Romans: Cartographer for the U.S. Continental Army" Remo
Salta (Revolutionary War overlooks Dutch-born patriot)" "Mercator's
World Incorporating The Map Collector. The Magazine of Maps, Globes,
and Charts" Vol. 1 Number 3 1996. If per Glassie, the primary
buildings were of a "Virginia type" construction I suppose I would not
be surprised to see a tidal mill and a rice cultivation experiment
associated with the early iron founding. Thanks for the info, once in
the marsh of South Carolina years ago for a Coca Cola.

George Myers