From:
Zeev Schor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 21:44:53 +0200
I crave for indulgence from my fellow classical music enthusiasts in
this list to permit me to include the benefits of SACD and DVD Audio
as described in CNET's Quick Guide to the new formats (I quote:):

1.  "The SACD format employs a new technology dubbed Direct Stream
Digital (DSD).  Proponents claim DSD is kinder and gentler to the music
than CD's Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) format.  While CDs poke along with
a 44.1kHz sampling rate, DSD cranks things up to a warp-speed 2.8224MHz.
This results in vastly greater resolution, texture, and detail than CDs.
Standard Super Audio CDs will run on only SACD players, while newer
hybrid SACDs will play on SACD, CD, and DVD players.  To enjoy an SACD
player's surround sound, you must use a receiver equipped with 5.1 analog
inputs.  A good-quality speaker system is required to appreciate the
format's potential".  (From my own experience I can say that SACD sound
better even in an audio system using good 2-channel speaker system).

2.  "DVD-A offers 1,000 times the resolution of CD and can deliver up
to six channels of ultrahigh-resolution sound.  But to access those
tracks, you need a DVD-Audio player, although almost all DVD-A discs
have lower-quality Dolby Digital or DTS tracks that can be played
by any DVD player.  DVD-Audio sound has great detail and texture, and
it's more lifelike than CD. DVD-Audio will be primarily of interest to
audiophile-inclined home-theater fans.  To enjoy a DVD-A player's full
sound potential, you must use a receiver equipped with 5.1-channel analog
inputs and good-quality speakers"

(Again from my own experience I can say that DVD-A sound better even in
a audio system using good 2-channel speaker system  but the disks should
be played on good quality SACD-DVD-A players).

Zeev Schor
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Israel