From:
Dave Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:40:03 -0700
Glen Miller asked:

what is the big deal about Bach's Mass in B minor?

I confess I also have a blind ear for this one; I've tried it a number
of times but still much much prefer the St.  Matthew Passion, with its
glorious arias (Erbarme Dich, Geduld, the choral conclusion, etc.  etc.)
as well as the deeply moving relationship between text and music, even
though I'm yet another J-A!  (I also enjoy Wagner's magnificent music
despite the source.) Can any of you B-minor-Mass lovers point out some
comparable glories to those of us who haven't found them yet?  (As well
as favored recordings) I hate to miss out on something that's so highly
regarded!

Dave Wolf