ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Stoke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:54:17 -0400

Phil,

Pioneer makes a professional DVD player that is backwards-compatible with Pioneer
Laser Disc commands. It has a serial port that accepts the same 2 letter ascii
control commands as the laser disc players did. DVD's, however, do  not have a
native frame number encoding the way laser discs did. However, the Pioneer player
is able to generate a frame number list on the fly and search to frames on a DVD.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com

The key thing, I think, would be to find out just how the laser disc was
programmed, and probably talk to the people at Pioneer, if you can, about how to
make a DVD that will work with those commands. The Pioneer web site also has a big
library of pdf files that address some of the technical issues that you may be
facing.

(I used to work with a TAM at the predecessor to the Arizona Science Center in
Phoenix!)

Sorry, I don't know more than that.

Sincerely,

John Stoke